What happens when you combine cabbage, that not so popular vegetable, with bacon? You end up with a pretty amazing result called Bacon Cabbage Delight. As a kid, I ate cabbage on St. Patrick’s Day, and only on St. Patrick’s Day. As an adult, I’ve grown quite fond of cabbage. I love cabbage mixed with other vegetables and in soups. Most recently, my husband made this wonderful cabbage dish with bacon, hence the name Bacon Cabbage Delight. It is so good, but anything with bacon is good in my opinion. This dish does not disappoint. I could eat this Bacon Cabbage Delight every night and with every meal. Whether or not you are a fan of cabbage, this side dish is a must try. With St. Patrick’s Day upon us, I thought it would be a great idea to share this recipe. Bacon Cabbage Delight is guaranteed to keep your Irish eyes smiling. Not only is it good, but it is super easy too. Check it out!
Bacon Cabbage Delight
- 8 slices of Bacon, chopped (we use the Costco Kirkland think cut)
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1 large head of Cabbage, cored and sliced
- 1 Teaspoon ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon of paprika
- Dash of ground Cayenne Pepper for a little kick
- Salt if you wish but we did not need it
- Place the bacon in a large pan and cook over medium-high heat until crispy, about 10-12 minutes. I like my bacon cooked well.
- Add the onions and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes
- Next, add the cabbage and stir for 10 minutes. Season with black pepper, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer about 15 minutes while stirring occasionally.