Zucchini is one of my favorite vegetables especially in the summer. I grew up eating zucchini all the time, but I have never eaten them stuffed.
On this particular night, we had one of those great meals…marinated, grilled flank steaks, pasta salami salad, and stuffed zucchini on the grill or zucchini boats. It was our first time making them. I must admit they were so easy. Plus, we love it when the majority of our meal can be grilled.
Last year I could have used this recipe, because I had an abundance of zucchini from the garden. However, this year the moles took over and decided they liked my zucchini 😦 I had to buy this batch from our local grocery store, Dierbergs, but they always have wonderful produce.
Stuffed Zucchini on the Grill
- 4 medium Zucchini
- 1/2 cup chopped Bacon (we prefer real bacon as opposed to bits)
- 1/4 cup chopped Black Olives
- 1/2 cup diced Green Chiles
- 1/2 cup minced Red Onion
- 1/2 cup chopped Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Tablespoon of fresh Basil from the garden
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out the pulp to about 1/4 inch from the skin. Chop the pulp.
- In a bowl, mix the zucchini pulp, bacon, black olives, green chiles, onions, tomatoes, and cheddar cheese. Season with fresh basil and salt and pepper.
- Stuff the zucchini halves with the mixture. Seal each half with aluminum foil.
- Prepare the grill. Place packets on the grill over indirect heat. Cook approximately 15-20 minutes or until tender.
With stuffed zucchini, you can get creative with the mixture but I don’t think we will deviate from this recipe. It was so delicious – stuffed zucchini or zucchini boats whatever you prefer to call them!