Breakfast is not my favorite meal. I know it’s the most important meal of the day but it’s still not my favorite. However, my husband has definitely changed my thinking about breakfast. He has turned me on to the “big breakfast concept” (especially on the weekends)…eat a big breakfast, skip lunch, and then go straight to dinner.
On this particular day, it was Father’s Day so we decided to treat Dad to his favorite meal – breakfast. A sausage egg casserole was a must, but we needed something else. Yes, potatoes it is! That’s when the potato and bacon casserole came together.
It’s simple and easy to make. A great dish to get the kids involved too. Not to mention, this casserole could be eaten as a side dish at any meal, not just breakfast.
- 4 cups of Southern/ Country Style Potatoes (cubes) – completely thawed
- 1 12 oz. Package of Bacon
- 1 Bunch of Green Onions chopped
- 3 Cups of Shredded Cheddar Cheese, Jack Cheese, and/or any variety of Cheese – mixed together
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Cup of Milk
- 1/2 tsp. of Salt
- Fresh Ground Pepper
- Cook the bacon in a skillet. While the bacon is cooking, add the potatoes to a 9 x 13″ baking dish. Sprinkle all the shredded cheese evenly over the potatoes. After the bacon is cooked, drain it on paper towels reserving 2-3 tablespoons of bacon drippings. Cook the green onions in the bacon drippings for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Spread the onion mixture over the cheese. Then, crumble the bacon on top.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Pour the egg mixture evenly on top of the casserole. Refrigerate overnight or for 8 hours.
- When you are ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake, uncovered for 40-45 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.