After years of not eating green beans, I decided to try something new to get my family to enjoy them. We love bacon in the house so I thought, why not try some green beans with bacon. It was a huge success so much so that we eat green beans with bacon at least once a week as a side dish. Not only was the bacon the secret to success, but the Alpine Fresh french green beans from Costco also make this dish. The french green beans are thinner, cook faster, and are more flavorful then regular green beans. Of course, this is all my opinion, but I believe if you try these green beans with bacon you will agree.
You can make this dish with real bacon or even use bacon crumbles, but there is only one brand of bacon crumbles that is good. Yes, it is the Costco brand of Kirkland bacon crumbles. They are high quality, big chunks of bacon crumbles. The best we have found. These green beans with bacon not only taste great, but they are super easy to make especially if you choose to use bacon crumbles.
Green Beans with Bacon
- 1 2 Pound Bag of Alpine Fresh Tender Green Beans (we use 1 pound and save the other pound for another meal)
- 2-3 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 2-3 Cloves of minced Garlic
- 1 1/2 Cups of Bacon Crumbles by Kirkland
- Jalapeno Salt & Pepper to taste (not much salt needed due to bacon)
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil in a wok over medium high heat. Add green beans and garlic, toss in the olive oil, and cover for 8-10 minutes to cook/steam. Continue to stir green beans.
- Once the green beans are getting softer and brighter in color, you can add the bacon crumbles and seasonings. Continue stirring the green beans and bacon. At this point, you will have to judge when your green beans are ready. It all depends on how you like them. Taste them to see if they are ready. Some like them a little crispier while others like them more done. We’ve cooked them both ways, and the family consensus is they do not like them crispier. I like them both ways.
*Note – If you decide to use real bacon, consider not cooking the green beans in the bacon grease so to help keep calories in check. If you don’t care, then go for it! However, I think the bacon adds a ton of flavor even without the grease.
2 thoughts on “Green Beans with Bacon”
Yum! I’m a firm believer that bacon makes everything better! What a great way to jazz up green beans!
Absolutely agree Molly. We love bacon at this house. Thanks for stopping by 🙂