Perfect Summer Salad
During the heat of the summer, I love trying different salads, however I can’t take credit for this one. My husband pulled this one together. We seem to be on an avocado kick right now so sticking with that theme, here’s a great refreshing salad with or with out avocados.
Avocado Pineapple Blueberry Salad
- 6 cup of mixed Greens
- 3/4 cup of diced Pineapple (fresh or canned) – can grill if time permits
- 3/4 cup of fresh Blueberries
- 3/4 cup of diced Avocados
- 1/4 cups of thinly sliced Red Onions
- 3/4 cup of Lemon Vinaigrette
- Dash of Salt and Pepper
- Fresh Parmesan Cheese
- In a large bowl, toss the mixed greens with dressing; reserving 3 tablespoons of dressing.
- On five to six separate plates, evenly disperse all the greens.
- In the same large bowl add the pineapple, blueberries, avocados, onions, and remaining dressing;
- Disperse the mixture evenly over the greens. Add seasoning and sprinkle with cheese if desired. Serve immediately.
This salad was a hit with the family, however the kids preferred the salad with out the avocado’s. We also kept it very simple by using bottled Lemon Vinaigrette, but you can make your own or use any kind of Citrus Vinaigrette.
It’s a quick and yummy summer salad! On this particular night, we didn’t have enough time to grill the pineapple, but I do highly recommend grilled pineapple. We love it!
Avocado‘s are something we have never bought or used at home. I don’t know why. We love guacamole. We eat it in Mexico all the time. We order it out when dining at a Mexican or Southwestern restaurant, but we have never made it at home until now.
It was so easy and simple to make guacamole. It was so good especially with our fresh cilantro from the garden. I can’t say the kids loved it. They do however prefer guacamole vs. avocados solo.
Also, I think back to my childhood. We never ate guacamole or avocados. My first experience with avocados was in my early 20’s when I began to travel for work. It was also when I learned to love so many other different types of food. I grew up in a “meat and potatoes and pasta” kind of family (which was awesome), however we didn’t eat a lot of different kinds of foods.
At our house today, we make the kids taste everything. We eat a lot of different types of food. Our kids have quite a sophisticated palate except Nick, the five-year old, but we are working on that!
- 3 avocados peeled, pitted, and mashed
- 3 tablespoons of fresh cilantro chopped (from the garden)
- 2 Roma Tomatoes (chopped)
- 1/2 cup of diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 1 teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- In a large bowl, mash together the avocados, lime juice, and salt. Stir in cilantro, onion, tomatoes, and garlic. Stir in cayenne pepper for desired taste. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
This is super simple and easy for anyone to make. It was our first time eating the fresh cilantro from the garden too. Yummy!