Avocado‘s are something we have never bought or used at home. I don’t know why. We love guacamole. We eat it in Mexico all the time. We order it out when dining at a Mexican or Southwestern restaurant, but we have never made it at home until now.
It was so easy and simple to make guacamole. It was so good especially with our fresh cilantro from the garden. I can’t say the kids loved it. They do however prefer guacamole vs. avocados solo.
Also, I think back to my childhood. We never ate guacamole or avocados. My first experience with avocados was in my early 20’s when I began to travel for work. It was also when I learned to love so many other different types of food. I grew up in a “meat and potatoes and pasta” kind of family (which was awesome), however we didn’t eat a lot of different kinds of foods.
At our house today, we make the kids taste everything. We eat a lot of different types of food. Our kids have quite a sophisticated palate except Nick, the five-year old, but we are working on that!
- 3 avocados peeled, pitted, and mashed
- 3 tablespoons of fresh cilantro chopped (from the garden)
- 2 Roma Tomatoes (chopped)
- 1/2 cup of diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 1 teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- In a large bowl, mash together the avocados, lime juice, and salt. Stir in cilantro, onion, tomatoes, and garlic. Stir in cayenne pepper for desired taste. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
This is super simple and easy for anyone to make. It was our first time eating the fresh cilantro from the garden too. Yummy!
3 thoughts on “Guacamole”
I LOVE avocado! I too didn’t realize the wonderful goodness of the avocado until well into my adulthood. I love eating one chopped up with chopped tomato and grilled chicken breast. So healthy! The avocado is a “miracle food”. Check it out:
Awesome Tina. Thanks for sharing and following along. We seem to be on an avocado kick and put them in our salad last week…so good! Nice to see all the benefits 🙂